Friday, September 03, 2010

GCD Studios Technique:: Misting Techniques

For this month, I'm going to share some misting tips with you. I only recently starting using spray inks to add texture to my layouts and projects so I'm by no means any expert. But, I have discovered a few tricks as I have been working with mists.

I created this "Celebrate the 4th" layout using the gorgeous Independence collection by GCD Studios. The spray ink I chose was Maya Road Maya Mist in red. I love that this mist dries quickly and doesn't warp my paper.


I sprayed my layout with mist twice - once near my title. (Note: I would do all spraying BEFORE you adhere your photos or at least cover your photos if you wait until afterwards.)


And secondly, near where I placed my journaling. I wanted a nice pop of color behind my journaling. 


Here's a look at the chipboard stars where I used the Chip Art tool and a circle on to deboss. I went over the stars with cream paint and then topped it with a coat of Mod Podge and midnight blue paint. 


Now, let's talk misting. For this sample, I sprayed really close to the paper which gave me even coverage and a consistent red color. 



On this sample, I held my spray bottle away from the page and got a fine mist of coverage with just a hint of coverage.


For this sample, I took the pump out of the spray bottle and shook it over my paper to get large droplets of ink. 


Finally, on this sample, I did a combination of holding the bottle really close to the paper and shaking the pump to get the large droplets of ink. 



It was this combination that I used on my layout. 


And there you have a few simple tips to use the next time you work with spray inks!

Finally, be sure to watch my blog on Monday for a GCD Studios jewelry blog hop! It should be a fun time! :)



Until next time,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. fantastic tutorial Jill! What a huge help! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i so need a mist tut, i am hopeless, so will be trying this, love the LA so beautiful, your babys are growing huh! just thought id share a link of a card i lifted from you, thanks for that as im hopeless at cards so this helped me out big time :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs